Copyright

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat May 31 23:54:06 MDT 2008

At 07:40 AM 5/31/2008, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Is there not a significant difference between telling someone
>something you read in a book . . . .
>and trying to sell it and pass it off as your own . . .
>
>The later would be the copyright issue . .
>
>Jim Kinnear
>Happily telling customers the age of their piano . . maybe I should
>make them buy the book ???

OK, people, once again:

Telling somebody a piece of copyrighted information is "fair use" and allowed.

Posting copyrighted information on a public e-mail list constitutes
"publication" - whether for profit or not, it's irrelevant. (You
can't publish it i n your church newsletter either.)  Publication of
copyrighted information is a violation of the copyright.

Now let's bury this once and for all.

Israel Stein