[pianotech] ever changing hammer line response

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Sun Nov 2 19:37:53 PST 2008

Hi John,
               Balance rail hole height and excessive friction can
sure change the hammer line.  Depending on the force of the blow, it
will change where the hammer comes to rest, as will any other
inconsistency of friction.
You are correct in your assertion that some evidence in key level
will be apparent.
Time Tom is observing 1/2" difference in sharps to naturals, this
will not be the problem.  However I have never seen this kind of
swing in 35yrs.  The only way that this could happen, is a mobile
balance rail, or a combination of incorrect key height, and a too
tightly set up stop rail.
A 1/2" differential tends to indicate several things are out of place
at the same time.

One remote possibility is the unicorda arm pushing up on the key
frame with humidity swings.  Graphite the top of the arm, and look
for some transfer to the bottom of  the key frame.

Regards Roger