[pianotech] Replacing Keyboard Felt

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Nov 6 11:45:17 PST 2008

Hi Andrew,

Back Rail felt should be glued only at the front edge.  I apply
Alcohol/Water to that edge and let it soak for 20 or 30 minutes, testing it
periodically to see when it comes off easily.  When the water has done its
work (and I'm patient enough), it will lift right off without much/any felt
left behind.  I clean up with a scraper.

Hide glue is preferable to me for replacement.  If you are using the S&S
felt/cloth combo, glue the leading edge of both pieces (just the very edge
of the red cloth); red cloth is basically centered under the green felt.

William R. Monroe