[pianotech] Cleaning Soundboard and Plate

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Nov 10 10:05:45 PST 2008

Thanks, Dean.
Fenton
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dean May
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 11:12 AM
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Cleaning Soundboard and Plate

    ianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Fenton Murray
    Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 12:10 AM
    To: pianotech at ptg.org
    Subject: [pianotech] ***SPAM*** Re: Cleaning Soundboard and Plate

    Paul and Dean,

    Do you dilute the 409?

    Thank you!

    Fenton

  I use it straight up. It has bleach in it so if you leave it full strength in one spot for too long it will lighten that spot more than the rest so be aware. Spray it around the hitch pins and use a small scrub brush to work it all around. Use compressed air or the blower end of your vacuum with the crevice tool on the end to accelerate the airstream. Blow the 409 out of the hitch pin field into a waiting cloth. You can do the same around the tuning pins, just don't spray so much that it runs down into the pin block.

  On older grands that aren't worth much, set them up on the flat side, lid removed. Spray the 409 directly onto the soundboard through the treble strings and allow it to run down. Use your air stream to move it around where you want it to go. Work your cloth up with your favorite soundboard steel. Don't spray it on the bass strings or they will instantly go dead.

  My newest favorite sound board steel is a metal rod out of a hanging file folder. The little hook on the end of it is perfect for grabbing the rag and dragging it around.

  Dean