[pianotech] Measuring Bass String Lengths

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert at belgacom.net
Mon Nov 10 13:35:49 PST 2008

Hi,

I use the same method (measuring tape with a piece of string fixed at the
end and at the right place a loop wich can be fixed on the hitch pin)

I had this special measuring tape from a  string maker in Germany
(Hellerbass) and have to say it is verry easy to use even alone (it is a lot
faster with a seccond person of course)

For the treble sections (shorter strings) i have several small rulers from
different lenghts.

They need two lenght measurements :  A : from hitch pin to seccond brige pin
and B from hitch pin to aggrafe or capo end point.

Then they need also the core size and total size of the string.

Once i only gave the string lenghts and the string maker made a rescaling.

I always had perfect bass strings with this system (and this good string
maker)

Pierre Gevaert

  _____