[pianotech] lubricants

Caitriona Ireland catrionna2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 11:31:43 PST 2008

What lubricants to use where in reconditioning an upright action in 1909/10
production run Conway Boston & Company full size upright, serial number
16691.

The action was extremely dusty almost unplayed for 30 years, before that
never much played at all. Hammers have 1/8 grooves have retained most of
factory shape, flanges are all not loose, no screws loose, dampers all
functional after cleaning thoroughly, damper rod not bent, pedals regulated,
spoons and most of action needs regulation. Graphite has been used on much
of the action friction points,piano located in a semi-arid area of Western
Montana, USA, with mild winters some rain and a little snow sometimes,
summers moderate to hot.

Piano has remained in same building for most of its life and has been
indoors all of its life except for moved from original owners house in
current area to present location in same local area.

I am cleaning the action thoroughly. The action has had liquids pop, etc.,
spilled on it in the upper soprano and upper tenor areas, have removed
corrosion/verdigris and dust from most of the action now.

I have replaced all springs (jack, damper and hammer butt springs, replaced
all bridle straps, replaced corroded center pens and felts, renewed felts as
much as possible, replaced where absolutely necessary, leathers are only
slightly worn.

I am currently regulating action, will then lube; also I have repaired and
reconditioned keys and key bed with new felt and paper punchings, set
height, key dip,leveled keys and regulated lost motion, have yet but will
regulate rest of action.

The clients don't what to spend a lot reconditioning their piano a wise
choice for a Conway Boston & Company upright piano.

Sincerely
Annalee Smith, PT

 Katrina