[pianotech] Yamaha GH1 tenor instability

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 03:37:41 PST 2008

Hi Debra,I would check the pinblock fitting. Start by tightening all pinblock screws and then check the fitting. I've seen a couple that were rocking. I would tune the treble and all would be fine, I would tune the bass and the treble would go... Is that the case here? I know it does not have a very good scale in the tenor and LOTS of compromises have to be made to make it sound just OK, but if there is change after you tune the bass or the tenor, have a look at the block fitting to the plate's flange. It could improve stability. These pianos are also very sensitive to humidity changes in the lower tenor due to low tension on the last tenor unisons.Marcel CareySherbrooke, QC> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:32:01 -0800> From: debra at ladytuner.com> To: pianotech at ptg.org> Subject: [pianotech] Yamaha GH1 tenor instability> > Has anyone else been as frustrated as I am trying to keep the tenor> octave of the Yamaha GH1 in tune?  Even if I pitch raise and> over-pull, by the end of the tuning, that section WILL NOT HOLD!   The> tuning pins are not loose in the block but I'm still thinking that my> next step might be to tap the tuning pins down into the pin block> along with tapping the strings down at their bearing points.  Any> suggestions?  Is this a structural problem with this model??> > > -- > Debra Feiger, RPT>