[pianotech] Yamaha GH1 tenor instability

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Nov 16 04:08:40 PST 2008

Hi Debra:

As a followup to Marcel's point, I would start by removing the action.  Then
take a large hand mirror and a strong light and examine the fit between the
plate flange and the pinblock for gaps visually.  You can also take a feeler
gauge of about .004 and insert it into any gap you find there and run it
along between the plate flange and pinblock until you hit resistance.  Chalk
the beginning and end points on the pinblock.  Do this along the length of
the pinblock face, and you will then have an idea of how much contact you
actually have.  Another clue is to look at the tuning pins.  If you see gaps
at the back of the tuning pin (toward the stretcher) and the pins look like
they are pressing forward against the plate bushings, that is another sign
of poor fitting.

I have made tapered hardwood shims and tapped them between the plate flange
and the pinblock with glue, after lowering tension.  Upon retuning, I find
this helps stabilize the offending instruments.

All that being said, Ron Nossaman's and others remarks on the poor scaling
in the tenor area are right on the money.  Scalewise, it's a barking dog in
that area.

Will Truitt