[pianotech] seized let off buttons

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sun Nov 16 11:06:58 PST 2008

Clarify:  "Dollies"?  Do you mean key capstans?

Whatever the case try a little heat from the tip of a soldering gun, that will often free parts that have seized in wood.  If not try heating, cooling, and heating again.  The repeated expansion may break it free. That almost always works for let-off screws.  Once you get the screws moving I'd go ahead and pull them out and replace them.  It's easy to do and their cheap.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV