[pianotech] shift lever/keyframe interface

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Nov 19 09:52:13 PST 2008

reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings List,
>
> Some pianos originally have leather where the shift lever contacts the
> side of it's slot in the keyframe.  Others do not.  Is there any good
> reason not to remove worn out keyframe-shift-lever-slot-leather (sounds
> like I'm translating from German, don't it?), thereby converting it to
> "bareback' style (a la Steinway and others)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan Eder

You might find that you can't shift it far enough, or at all, before the
lever hits the underside of the keybed AND/OR you run out of adjustment
on the pedal rod.

Shims one place or the other might be needed if you completely forgo the
leather.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

If I had multiple personality disorder, my resume would make more sense.