[pianotech] Sluggish action on Wurlitzer

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Nov 19 14:39:39 PST 2008

The archives aren't working right now, but I'll second the Randy Potter
course suggestion, particularly his week-long seminar in Montana in
January... I know that sound bad (MT/Jan), but it's really worthwhile as
long as you've started his course and have attempted some of the lessons.
But to somewhat more directly answer your question, you never replace an
existing pin. Its tapered/sharpened point has been snipped off, most always
leaving a snag that will for sure catch on the bushing and rip it out. Pins
are CHEAP, and lots easier to put in a new one, too.

If the pins are green (verdigris)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris> you'll
need to replace flanges, too, not just pins and bushings.

Re-bushing isn't typically done with re-pinning... I'll defer to others who
are far more expert than I to define more accurately when you would re-bush.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN