[pianotech] Downbearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 13:48:14 PST 2008

William Monroe wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> What kind of downbearing measures are important to you?  In the photos
> you posted, it looks like you are zeroing on the speaking length, and
> measuring the change when you move to the back length.  Is this just an
> example of the ease of the gauge, or is it what you really measure?
> Other measures important to you?  Why?
>
> In talking with Dale E in Chicago this Fall, and seeing his bearing
> check gauges which are a go/nogo type, he said that for the way he
> works, he's only interested in bearing in the speaking length, relative
> to the bridge cap (correct me here, Dale if I err) and only in a "some,
> none, lots" type of measure.
>
> I'm just interested in your perspective.
>
> William R. Monroe

If you make a two sided base, which you can still do with that
scrap Jim mentioned, you can space two prongs wide, and two
narrow, so you can measure whatever angle relationships you
like, and have it your way all around. Take all measurements
with the same set of prongs, for continuity.

The Wixey, or Beall Tilt Box, is more versatile than the
bubble gage because it will measure bearing on vertical pianos
as well, with the same setup.

Ron N