[pianotech] Downbearing

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Nov 22 23:51:44 PST 2008

 William:

I do net "component" bearing measurements using the bubble gauge, although I'm open to trying to adapt the Wixey gauge in order to get the feet on the bridge top as a zeroing point. All of the methods, used properly, with a proper understanding of the use of the trigonometry, yield useful and practical results. They all suffer, too, from the drawbacks of non-planar bridge tops (potentially causing false-bearing conditions). But if you understand how to use any of these gauges, how to do the easy math, and as long as the measurement techniques are consistently applied, then any of them will work for new boards (setting proper bearing conditions), or old boards (discovering compromised bearing conditions). I like the net component method because of the zeroing (which takes into account the varying bridge plane), and the separation of the components both for accuracy and for differential adjustment between the front and rear string angles.

Paul