[pianotech] Fwd: Downbearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 23 06:40:00 PST 2008

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net wrote:

> I'm measuring the included angle between front and back segments (I
> think other posts are calling that net bearing...is that right?)

Yes, as opposed to component, measuring and adding front and
rear bearing to arrive at net.

>> Do you assume the top of the
>>bridge cap is parallel to the "bottom of the triangle" as well?
>
> I ignore the segment on the top of the bridge cap for this measurement.
> That segment does corrupt the precise mathematical relationship
> but its close enough for jazz. Too much hair splitting and I go off into
> la-la land.

And lacking evidence of tonal justification for the hair
splitting, who's it for?

> The more I learn what I'm doing here, the less picky, at least in my
> experience with new  rc&s boards, the downbearing seems to be.
> (Please take that as a relative statement...I'm not saying it's
> unimportant, just that the optimum window seems to be bigger than I
> originally thought.)

Exactly! Which in practical terms means better repeatability,
and better long term stability. You spend the time refining
design parameters before it's built rather than diddling
details after the fact.
Ron N