[pianotech] Downbearing

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 14:17:16 PST 2008

FWIW Since I've been taking off bridge caps in one piece I've noticed that
(at least on Steinways) the bridge cap is almost always thicker in the front
by about 1 mm than in the back.  That's with the bridge body being equal
height front to back which suggests that someone was targeting erring on the
side of positive front bearing even if front and back were not equal.  That
would also agree with pre teardown measurements.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com