[pianotech] OFF topic

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 25 05:50:51 PST 2008

It's happening to me.   I'm starting to hear things a half step sharp!  Used to be, after taking out the temperament strip, I'd never look at the keys as I went up or down the keyboard chromatically, because I knew where I was.  Now I find myself reaching for that Db, and then realizing that the C that I just tuned was actually a B!

I used to be able to tell what keys songs on the radio were in.  Now, I have to wonder...did the Beatles really play that in the key of Ab?  Then I think, it's probably in G, and I'm just hearing sharp again.

This is like losing your sight or not being able to walk without a cane any longer.  It's jarring.  It's depressing.  Getting older is no fun.

Tom Sivak
Chicago