[pianotech] Emil Fries 9 in 1 gage

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Wed Nov 26 07:16:22 PST 2008

William,

you have been using these far longer than me.  How ever, I know they had a bad batch of these that were made from aluminum that were about 1/16 off.  We had some at the school.  It was right after Schaff had started back production after not making them for a few years.  I think those were produced in the mid 90s...  They don't make them from aluminum anymore, at least they didn't when I bought one about a year ago.  If the one I have is aluminum its the heaviest aluminum I have ever come across.  I was lucky enough to get a really old one from one of the alumni who left the business that was made of aluminum.  I think those are the ones that you are use to.  I had already purchased the new one when the opportunity came to pick up some tools from this fellow, and I agree the older ones are the best.  They are hard to find now though.  When I say that some were 1/16 off I am talking about the hammer travel section of the gauge.  I recall that the let off portions were off a good amount as well.  That was more like 1/32.  Either way, the entire product was useless and vary inaccurate for a time when Schaff started reproduction.

Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com