[pianotech] More Volume

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Nov 26 15:05:16 PST 2008

Arlie,

I'm sure others will elaborate more here, but before you do anything, you
should pluck the strings in the problem area and see what the system is
capable of.  Compare the problem area with neighboring areas that sound OK
to get a feel for whether or not the piano is even capable of more in the
treble.  If the treble sounds similar to areas that are not a problem then
it may very well be hammers.  If it's weak when plucked that changes the
picture, it becomes a belly issue.

If a hammer issue, it depends upon the condition of the hammers, but I'd
first look to make sure they have decent shape.  It is possible that the
hammers will come up with a little shaping.  If that doesn't do it, I'd
probably try needling the shoulders a bit and see if that doesn't open
things up a bit.  If that fails, then juice.  All this assumes strings are
mated to hammers, action regulated, etc.

If it's a belly issue, perhaps a candidate for some of Del's riblets.

William R. Monroe

SNIP