Pianist breaking many strings

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Oct 1 14:13:16 MDT 2008

Stephane:

While I agree with your premise, I don't think there's much chance of success on this.  When piano technicians try to teach piano technique to professional players, they tend to resent it.  They think of themselves as the professionals and we are the repair people.

In the 22 years I've been at my current place, we've had two chronic string breakers - several strings a week.  Other players have broken the occasional string but these two were way ahead of the pack.  The thing they had in common was the fact that they both were angry young men.  Their playing sounded angry because they were.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu