(a first for me...) new hammers for 1927 s and s L

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 13:12:45 MDT 2008

Dave,

New Steinway hammers are most definitely heavier than the originals; that's
why they use 17 mm shanks now. Putting them on an older model is a recipe for
a  whining customer.

You're going to want to replace the shanks, which almost certainly have
verdigris. (Check the repetition support flange, too). One possibility is to put
on 16.5 mm shanks, but the leverage on SOME L's from that era is such that you
 can even use 16's, if you use a very light hammer, taper it top to bottom,
and  cove it more thoroughly. The advantage to that, in the few cases you can
get  away with it, is a low-inertia, short-keythrow action like the original. I
have  used the Abel Natural Felt hammers from Brooks, like others suggest.
Light  weight, nice old-fashioned sound. With them, we sometimes use 16 mm,
sometimes 16.5. I like to make that decision during teardown, with dummy  parts.
Ronsen can also make a light set. If you want a big sound, Renners  are
heavier, also require good prep, require more voicing to get elasticity,  16.5
shanks.

Be prepared to rebalance the keys.

This is not a one-size-fits-all decision, but you at least have a lot of
latitude for preference. Go try out some pianos at the shops of good action
people.

Bob Davis

In a message dated 10/2/2008 8:10:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,