repinning a Baldwin Hamilton

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:20:48 MDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Barbara Richmond <piano57 at comcast.net>wrote:

>  Gosh, John, thanks for the detail.

You bet.  Hopefully, it might even be accurate. :-)

> So, do you have little marked bottles of solution all lined up in a row?

Yes.

>  I usually just go for repinning because I know what my results are going
> to be and I have a pretty good idea of how long it will take.  But it would
> make sense, I guess, to give the water/alcohol sizing another try.  I
> haven't worked on many pianos where sizing was an option.

I usually have repinned also, but my experience prior to this was mostly
field repairs where there wasn't time for drying.  I had time to experiment
on this action to find what solution strength worked best. And when sizing
works, it's much faster.

> The key bushings I checked seemed OK,

These seemed OK at first. Not too much cupping, I thought.  But then after
action friction was corrected, and there were still problems, it had to be
keysticks.  Thankfully, with the time savings from the sizing (vs.
repinning), I was able to bush the FR for the same price I'd promised.

And, about the balance pin holes ... they were fine. I checked them before I
bid on the job, and also during the regulation (just to make double sure).
:-)

--
JF