Fitting fire hose to barbs

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Oct 3 19:11:32 MDT 2008

To the List:

I got my Nitrile rubber 1 ½” fire hose late this afternoon, and at the end
of the day I cut my lengths and started playing with fitting the hose over
the barbs of my end pieces.  The inner diameter is slightly smaller than the
end of the barb.  Even with grease and wanging the barb around the inside of
the end of the hose to stretch it a bit, it looks like it’s going to be a
lot of work to get those suckers on – a lot of screaming, cursing, and
gnashing of teeth.  I was hoping to secure a tool designed for this task at
a hardware store, but there appears to be no such animal.  The suggestion of
placing the hose end in very hot water was made to me, and I will try that
tomorrow.  Does anyone who has experience doing this have any suggestions
that I could use to make my life easier here?

Will Truitt