lowering inertia without voiding warranty?

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Oct 4 15:24:12 MDT 2008

Mark,

you misunderstood Bob.  What he intended to convey to you was the
technique you described below, of putting a little glue on the bottom
of the key, putting the key down on the punching, letting it harden,
then lifting the key out and cutting off part of the punching...
thereby shifting the pivot point of the key...  to lower the ratio
and lighten cut off the front part of the punching as needed and vice
versa.

I know because to my knowledge I originated the technique and taught
it to Bob over a decade ago.  I've taught the technique to many many
people since then but I've never published anything written about
it... maybe on this list or maybe someone I taught it too mentioned
it on this list...

However if the piano is under warranty then it must have accelerated
action so the 1/2 punching technique won't work on this piano...

I'll mention to Bob M. that he needs to be more concise when he
describes the method, especially in his classes...  thanks for the
feedback...

David S.