(a first for me...) new hammers for 1927 s and s L

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 21:20:27 MDT 2008

Be sure you try those 17 mm knuckles on your original wippens to make sure
there isn't an alignment problem.  Also, be careful going to a new "heavier"
hammer on an old wippen as the old repetition springs can sometimes have a
difficult time of it.  Also, inspect the wippens carefully to be sure they
don't have verdigris.  If you are keeping the original wippens (which I
would prefer you talk them into changing out all the parts) I would talk to
Ray at Ronsen about producing a Bacon felt set that is similar in weight to
the original set or very close to it.  That probably means getting a set
where hammer #40 can be reduced to something around 6.5 grams.  You might
then be able to copy the original dimensioned parts or change the knuckle
placement minimally and things might work a bit better.

Best solution is to discuss the benefits of rebuilding the entire action and
all the accompanying parts: bushings, punchings, let-off buttons,
backchecks, frame felt, key end felt, etc, and at least give them the option
to say no.  You might be surprised.

There is sometimes a tendency to approach these situations with how can we
get the job done for the least cost to the customer rather than how can we
do the job to give the best outcome.  Always start with the best outcome and
if necessary work backwards to the least cost.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com