Low Inertia

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 5 12:58:38 MDT 2008

Jim-

I feel you're really onto something here, and expressing it in a fresh and
clear way.

There are musicians who are playing with a focus to the music they hear
right in front of them, and there are pianists who are playing to the
audience 20 rows out in the hall. They seem to have very different
requirements for the piano.

Have you had a chance to play a Mason & Hamlin with the composite action
parts? For whatever reason, I felt that the sound was "much closer to my
finger tip."

Ed

> Here's where the action/belly interactiveness come in. When the
> fundamental
> comes without the strike noise, or at least with minimized strike noise
> (so you
> still have percussive nature of the instrument) the perception is one of
> instant
> response to the key stroke. Its an illusion I think, but who cares,
> perception
> is my only reality. I think there is a wider window in how your fingers
> are
> allowed to interact with the action when the sound which follows has
> minimized
> the initial strike noise. I call that noise the "cringe and wait".  The
> "cringe
> and wait" also forces me to alter ever so much the ideal tactus of the
> music I'm
> playing...really a bummer. I can alsop "put up" with a lot more of heavy
> action
> under better belly conditions.
>

> My musical voice is french...very impressionistic...This is why this sound
> appeals to me. Rachmaninoff and the romantics for whom the modern piano
> was
> developed are not my cup of tea. Does your B agree to play this kind of
> Germanic
> Romanticism? Not so much for my ears, for for someone else's ears

 That's why Bruce Clark's geometric framework is so