Low Inertia

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 6 13:44:23 MDT 2008

Greetings:

    My musical voice is french...very impressionistic...This is why this
    sound appeals to me. Rachmaninoff and the romantics for whom the
    modern piano was developed are not my cup of tea. Does your B agree
    to play this kind of Germanic Romanticism? Not so much for my ears,
    for for someone else's ears

Very interesting commentary.  One of Steinway's big points all along has
been that their sound is not necessarily the best sound for all  types
of music per sé so much as it is that piano sound which does the best
job of covering all types of music without having to move different
instruments on and off the floor for different pieces. Jim seems to
confirm two of my heart points... one that ones perception of what is
good sound goes nearly totally into the arena of the subjective, and
that two, and instrument can be built to sound <<perfect>> for one kind
of music (to the right folks) and sound totally unacceptable for other
kinds of music.

Still, I applaud the present ongoing excursion by some rebuilders /
designers around the globe.  And am personally glad that for the moment
these are largely limited to the small production scene... i.e. one man
shop or something like the Overs production. This allows for the maximum
amount of experimentation without a very large and costly R&D
department... which almost none of the major player seem to be able to
afford anymore anyways. Perhaps the end result will create a sound that
is just as all-sided as the present Steinway sound is perceived to be by
the market at large... who knows ?

Cheers
RicB