What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 6 14:35:47 MDT 2008

Grin... if you change the amount of FW,  then you change the Ratio and
you no longer have "an action with the same hammers, ratio, and
BW, but different leading" You have an action with both different
leading and different ratio. Moreover, the bulk of commentary along
these lines so far would seem to support the claim that assist spring
compensating for same BW after a change in FW will not be able to create
the <<same feel>> (however one arrives at what that might eventually be)

Cheers
RicB

    Uh...by using assist springs.  Seems fairly clear.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com

    Greetings.

        On assist springs, I think they can make a bad action better by
        allowing the removal of excess key lead, not the right way to fix
        things. But, fooling around with these things I was able to 'feel'
        the same action with different amounts of key lead, . An old 550
        Kawai had a nice action until I unhooked the assist springs and
        added lead.
        Fenton

    Curious as to how you got  "an action with the same hammers, ratio, and
    BW, but different leading".  If you change the leading, then you change
    the BW.  That is to say unless you changed the leading but kept the FW
    constant.