What's all this I hear about Inertia ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 6 18:57:02 MDT 2008

Richard,

David, my friend

As already stated, I retract and explain the root of my blunder her, and
apologize for the lack of carefulness in responding to relevant posts.
The use of WW visa vi WBW has been up many times and as such things
usually go they do get mixed up with time. For my part... WW simply
means the effective weight of the whippen at the front of the key, which
I believe was the original designation visa vi WRW which was its weight
before taking into consideration the effect of KR this has on the weight
of the whippen as felt at the front of the key.

My approach to using your groundwork is to use pre determined SW's and
Frontweights as givens that when installed reveal discrepancies in
individual key ratios shown by resultant variances in BW after
installation. Indeed it was you who pointed out to me that this was what
you wanted me to see on our walk through the mountains surrounding
Bergen all those years ago. Since then, this has been my priority
approach, so to immediately remember that a change in FW is countered by
a corresponding and opposite change in BW, given the leading train of
thought that had to do with how assist springs could replace FW and
yeild the same touch feel simply led me into a quite naturual blunder.
I dont think along those lines to begin with.  It was however
appropriate and appreciated to be corrected on this point of course.

I am far from some dummie that simply wants to make trouble as some
would have it.  My articles in the Journal should suffice to affirm
that. That does not preclude that I am able to stumble from time to
time. Nor do I personally find it problematic or particularly
embarrassing to do so on occasion tho I do resent the repeated
implication from some parts that I and others like me lack a sincere and
considered effort to contribute positively to the furthering of our
understanding of our trade.

I understand quite well what your very clever sidestepping of dealing
directly with the individual components of the top action ratio is all
about. As my article of a few years back showed quite clearly. Indeed,
it lies at the heart of why your approach works. There is no way of
resolving the individual component ratios of the whippen and shank from
the other information in your equation of balance. Nor is that necessary
for it to work. It would be necessary to resolve these two for a direct
translation formula as far as I can see.

Your own comments as to how you go about arriving at the relationship
between the Strike Weight Ratio and the Distance Ratio go off in a
different direction entirely and simply point to a potential desire to
find some optimal relationship between the two.

And for the record, as to my somewhat crass formulation to David Love
about not understanding the Balance Equation. That was uncalled for on
my part, rooted in an overestimation in my own over casual glancing at
the present discussion, which I have already apologized for and because
of repeated encounters in the past which have left me a bit more over
reactive then perhaps I should be to even these two three individuals.

Now, with that, I hope this digression is put to rest and the discussion
can return to its positive track.... which I tried to point back to in
my last post.

Best regards to one and all
Richard Brekne

    Richard

    Your (my) formula is wrong.. WW should be WBW.

    For any piano key FW + BW (Top Action BW) is always the same.   If
    you change reduce FW by an amount the BW will increase by the same
    amount and vice versa so the calculation of R remains the same...

    David S

        <snip> Changing the Front Weight most certainly and undeniably
        does change the (SW) ratio. A most casual of glances at
        Stanwoods formula reveals this. Again...this is part of why you
        will find any direct translation to another protocoll... the
        distance one for example...
        quite difficult at best.

        Review Stanwoods formula.   R =  (BW + FW - WW) / SW

        Clearly a change in FW changes the value of the entire left side of
        the formula, and hence the equivalent  R on the right side.

        Cheers
        RicB