Unstringable C8, was Steinway 78183

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 19:53:16 MDT 2008

Les,

Did you measure the speaking length?

Dear fellow listers: What is the "normal" speaking length for C8 in a Steinway S?

Amazing coincidence.  I was working on a Steinway S, s/n 48xxxx, last week which was missing the top shared string of C8.  I replaced it with no. 13 wire, and it broke at about A#7 in pitch while pulling it up.  So, assuming it was me, I tried it again.  Bang!  Broke at the V-bar.

I shoe-shined the v-bar to remove grooves and tried again.  Bang!  Broke at the v-bar.

I tried no. 12.5 wire, with graphite at the bearing points.  Bang!  This time at the bearing between the tuning pin and the v-bar.

I tried no. 12 wire.  With squinty eyes and going very slowly, I pulled it up to within about 20 cents of C8 and the pitch stopped rising even though I was moving the pin.  So I left it flat.

John Travis' "A Guide to Restringing" shows 12.5 wire for B7 and C8 for an S.  The plate of this 20 year old, factory original S is clearly marked 13.

The C8 speaking length on this one is 2.5 inches.  I checked a few other pianos in the vicinity, including a S&S D, and found 2 inches for no. 13 wire at C8.

The v-bar on this S curves down visibly at the right end, which appears to increase the wire angles on both sides of the v-bar, getting worse as you go from about A7 to C8.  The left string of C8 is holding at pitch, but had been replaced by someone else earlier.

I don't know if it is just too long a speaking length, or too much string angle, or a combination.  I only know it doesn't work as is.

Any suggestions?

Greg Graham