ETD'S ??? HELP

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 19:47:58 MDT 2008

The Sanderson AccuTuner III is an excellent machine.  It is rugged and has a battery that will go for weeks without recharging.  It gives a very easy to read display all the way up to note C88.  A number of the older tuners I have worked with here bought them mainly to help with the top notes.  There are numerous ways to customize the FAC tunings to get the sound you like.  You can just use the FAC tuning, reading the harmonics of three notes, and get a tuning that will get high grades in the PTG tuning exam.  It can be complicated if you want to get into it that way, but you don't have to to get a real good tuning.

I am more interested in your studying with William Braid White.  Was this in Chicago?  Was it at the Chicago Music College?  Do you have any materials that he gave you?  As the most important figure at the time of PTG's formation, he is important to those of us who care about our history.  This morning, at the Central East Regional Seminar near Chicago, I found out that the piano I took my best and most important lessons on had been used by White in teaching tuning!  In the early 1970's, it was in the Rudolph Ganz studio of the Chicago Music College, then part of Roosevelt University.  The university technician, Nobamusa Fujiwara was given this information by my teacher, Robert MacDowell.  But seriously, anything you have related to Dr. White would be important to the PTGF Museum, Library, and Archives.  Please let me know if there is anything of this nature.

Thank you,

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT, Director Emeritus, PTGF
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter