Broken Agraffe....

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 10 21:32:01 MDT 2008

O.K., the problem will be that the broken easy-out prevents you from working
from the top, and is probably expanding the agraffe.

Perhaps you can work from below wih a right angle drill attachment. Start
with the largest drill bit you can fit in the hole from below (assuming the
hole goes all the way through the plate!) Use the druill to make a dimple in
the bottom of the agraffe shank.
Then switch to a slightly smaller drill bit and carefully drill up to the
easy-out. Don't break the drill bit!!! Now tap with a small rod or
flat-tipped nail to remove the broken easy-out. The rest will be easy.

(If you don't want to buy a right-angle attachment, take the chuck off your
drill,chuck the drill bit in the chuck and turn it by hand. Make sure the
bit is sharp.)

Ed Sutton