Sex offender clearance, was "vetted by the CRB"

Greg Graham grahampianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 22:18:21 MDT 2008

Fenton,

The local school districts in Pennsylvania require their staff to have FBI and State Police background checks.  The Boy Scouts and many churches are requiring anyone with direct contact with vulnerable individuals (children, or handicapped adults) to have the same FBI and State Police clearances.

I have not been asked for clearance by any of the institutions I tune for, but it is probably going to happen.  The schools, churches and scouts are, certainly, interested in protecting children.  But the policies set in motion in recent years are designed to keep them from having to make the type of court settlements the Catholic Church has endured.  In the same spirit of self-preservation, local school districts and universities will probably get around to requiring vendor clearance.

The only problem with all the clearance stuff is that it only shows that you are not a KNOWN offender YET.  It is a half measure.

Many scout and church child protection policies include a two-adult rule.  At least two adults must be in any room with children.  This does much more to protect children than background checks, and has a legal defense benefit.  The adults keep an eye on each other, and can testify for each other.

The flip side of this is protecting yourself.  Never allow yourself to be alone with a child.  Always have another adult with you when children are in the room.  You will have someone to verify your side of the story if the child cries "Witch!".  (Had it happen to me as a scout leader, and having two other unbiased adults in the room at the moment in question quickly ended what would otherwise have been a disaster.)

So when Mrs. Jones says "I have to run to the market.  My 14 year old son or daughter is in the next room if you need anything.", what do you do?

I used to keep on tuning without a thought, but now I want to run for my life!  Beware, brother, beware!

Greg Graham