the economy

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 23:07:26 MDT 2008

Bruce

The problem is that the other tuners on this island have not kept up with the cost of living. (and neither have some other businesses). When I got here, I found out that most of the tuners charge less than $100 for a tuning, some even as low as $65. The only guy who charges more is the symphony tuner, and he gets only $135. When?I asked the other tuners, (all PTG members) why they don't charge more, their answer basically is that they will loose their customers.?. This is a small island, and if they charge more, they will not only loose that customer, but all their relatives and friends, And that can add up to a large number.?Even though they are all at least a month?or more behind,?they still insist that they can't charge more

I charge $115, (just went up from $110), When I am asked what my fee is, about 1 out of 5 will say, "I'll think about it", or something to that effect. My wife keeps telling me to lower my fee, but I think I will get just as many "thinkers", if?I say?I charge $95, or even $99. I just ran an ad on a local jazz station, offering 20% discount, and didn't get ONE call.

So it isn't my fee. It's being new to the island. Even though I have only been here for 14 months, I?think I'm doing pretty good, especially considering the current state of our economy.

So, Bruce, my business plan is fine. Don't forget, I did do some research on this, (see my signature line).

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943