ETD'S ??? HELP

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 11 03:43:44 MDT 2008

Ron,

it´s more comfortable because it reduces stress and provides allways the same results. Less stress due to less noise because you pound only one note and not all the check intervals. Particularly in high end tuning situations (recording studios, concert tunings....), as aural tuner I used to be some kind of nervous or suffered of lack of self-confidence. Now I know that every tuning will be fine and that means less stress.

I don´t know what ETD tunings you have heard, but is it possible that you had these experiences a long time ago? ETD of the 1980´s or so are not the same like nowadays. I began my apprenticeship 1988 and in that workshop we had a dinosaur of an ETD which was very uncomfortable and produced ridicolous results. I live in Germany and here all ETDs are extremely proscribed. We are very conservative regarding new technology or new methods in traditional craftmanship. E.g, nearly no piano tuner in Germany would use another temperament than the traditonal equal temperament (aside from historical concerts with historical instrumentsw). And so was I too. 3 years ago I had no good opinion about ETDs, but then I tried and I was convinced. Up to that time I never thought about partial matchings like 6:3 or 4:2 or so. I just tuned until it sounded good for my ears. And to be honest: that´s what I do still today. I just use the standard settings of the Verituner and like it very much.

You don´t need a salesman who tells you why you need an ETD. You need an ETD tuned piano (tuned by an experienced tuner) that you can check and then you should ask yourself if the result is okay for you. If so, you should ask yourself if the money is it worth to reduce the stress and tuning time.

Gregor