speaking of ETD's (SAT III)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 11 17:24:24 MDT 2008

Hi Dan

I do this kind of this routinely with Tunelab Pocket. I see the tuning
curve as simply a template mostly for the temperament area.  The rest I
pretty much direct reference as you outline below. Tunelab Pocket has a
particularly useful function for this in as much as it has a Partial
switching button where you can at the flick of a twitch look at any
given partial for whatever note it is you are looking for.  So if you
want to double check that 6:3 octave you just tuned you can switch to
the 2nd partial of the upper (or 4th of the lower) and have a gander at
whats going on.  Very easy to use Tunelab this way for just about any
conceivable aural test.
Cheers
RicB

    For those who use the SAT III, I'm interested in finding out what
    checks people use with the machine to verify various intervals.

    For example a simple check for a 6:3 octave in the bass would be to
    tune the upper note, set the SAT to the note one octave below, and
    play the upper note.? Lights spinning clockwise should indicate an
    octave wider than a 6:3, and lights spinning counter clockwise would
    indicate a narrow 6:3.?

    Checks for octaves, double & triple octaves, octave-fifths, etc.
    would be useful.? Since this topic might have a "narrow" interest
    range, (i.e. not everyone uses a SAT III), please feel free to email
    me privately at dpshans at aol.com.?

    Thanks,

    Dan Dannenfelser
    Sacramento, CA