Short SS A Renner back action

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Tue Oct 14 10:14:12 MDT 2008

      Jude,
      The time to do this I suppose is after the new pivot pins have been installed so that I can run the tray through it's true rotation?

      Yes.

      It seems to me that removing a bit more material than that defined by a straight line across the rear of the pivot blocks will be required and some experimenting is required to assure the thing is not bumping the belly rail?

      Yes but the rotation is not very great so don't overdo it. I like a good 5mm of material surounding the pivot pin in the tray so anything less requires relocating the pivot in the pivot blocks. Steinway calls for a 15 degree angle of the underlever to the keyend at rest. Trying to achieve a "magic" half stroke line will almost always bring the tray down too low so that it interferes with the dags.

      I will probably use a hand planer.
      Gene

      Great. If there's a lot of material to remove, I'd start with a power tool.

      Jude Reveley, RPT
      Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
      Lowell, Massachusetts
      (978) 323-4545