Tuning Compromises Across a Challenging Break

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 06:33:05 MDT 2008

This is my first post. I have been lurking for a while and have searched
extensively for methods on making compromises when setting the temperament
across a challenging break. I have not found very much that is useful, just
that intervals that straddle the break should be narrowed and intervals
above, and perhaps below, the break should be widened. I am interested in
tests to determine how challenging the break is and how much these intervals
should be narrowed or widened. Of course, this being a compromise, every
tuner will have their own preferences.

The only test I have come up with is to straddle the break with a P4,
beating about 1 bps wide, and then tune a reasonable M3 above the upper
note. This M3 should beat about 6 times for every 5 times that the M6 that
is formed with the lower note of the P4 beats. If the beat rates are too
close together, the P4 can be tuned less wide. This same test can be used
just above the break. If the beat rates are too far apart, the P4 can be
tuned wider.

Does anyone know of other tests to determine how challenging a break is and
how to best compromise for it?

--

Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.