conover grand

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 09:56:45 MDT 2008

     One of best pianos ever made. Better than Steinway, IMHO. WN&G action. The "flagship" model of the Cable Co., designed by Gerz, who also redesisgned the Mason line in the late 1890's. ( So called the "poor man's Mason" ) Sound a lot like Masons.
     They were marketed plenty to schools and such, who didn't want to pay a premium for a durable, quality piano, just because it said "S*****y" on it. Also, often had the cost-cutting feature of celluloid keytops. ( Which I prefer to ivory, for numerous reasons. )
     Very uniform. All sound similar. But almost all have loose tuning pins, because of some flaw in the pinblock design. You may have to CA the block. ( From top first, then tap pins, then from inside action cavity with piano upside down if still loose. )
     Or restring.

Model 66 5'2" (?)
      77 5'8"
      88 6'2"