conover grand

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 10:40:55 MDT 2008

Hello David,

   The quality of the  " Conover Grand Pianos" are the
best kept secret in the entire  Piano world.

   You were not specific about this Conover. So I will
try to answer in this manner.

   Please know that in the past 60 odd years I have
rebuilt or helped to rebuild at least 20-25 Conovers.

    In the  late seventies or early   eighties I bought 7
 Conovers in Cleveland O. Two were scale 88 a  6' 3"
and 5 were scale 77  a  5" 8.  Their small piano 5" 2'  was
a scale 44 or BB.  The 44 was also sold under the Cable
name but it was a Conover scale.

   It is my opinion that the  77 ranks in the top  5  5"7'
5"8's ever built.  Almost with the Chickering 145 and
the M-H  A-3  thru  A-6.

    An oddity exist with the Conovers.  It is with the
actions. I know of  5 different brands used at the
same time period.  The ones I know of are  W-N-G,
Thayer,  Seaverns , Strauch Bros., Pratt-Read, and
maybe more.

     I  as always am speaking of the real pianos,
The thoughts above has nothing to do with any
Name that was built  God knows where,  out of
God knows what  or how.  We do know -- why--
 and of course that is ----  MONEY --.

Hope this helps,
Regards

Jack Wyatt