The all new Weickert felt hammer by Ronsen

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 17 16:48:50 MDT 2008

I wonder too if the problem isn’t so much the type of press but the level of
production that the large suppliers have to maintain and the need for a
quicker way to set glues (read heat) on the hammers which changes the
consistency of the felt.  Like throwing that wool sweater in the dryer, it’s
never really quite the same.   Since wool is a very good natural insulator,
the heat required to quick set the glue must be quite high (I would imagine)
and this can only change the inner tension of the hammer, it seems to me.
Of course, I am not a hammer maker and don’t claim to know the ins and outs
of hammer production nor the methods or compromises that high production
rates would require.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the details and
differences between the high and low production shops and how this might
account for differences in the consistency of the felt in the finished
product.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com