conover grand

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Fri Oct 17 17:26:56 MDT 2008

The Conover model "88" grand (1920s vintage), is one nicest pianos of it's type I've ever come across.  It is a virtual copy of the Mason & Hamlin "A".  Similar scale, plate design, WN&G actions, etc.  Side by side you have to wonder who copied who.  Obviously M & H had a better marketing department.  Unfortunately people typically only buy brands they know, (i.e. Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Knabe), so these great pianos end up being trashed instead of rebuilt.  In spite of their quality, a fully rebuilt Conover will never fetch the price it deserves.  I have one in my shop I've been storing for years.  I would love to rebuild it but I'll probably wait for a buyer to come to me first.

Rob Goodale RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  List,

  Any insights into a Conover grand piano?  Donation...I'm looking at it next week.  Appropriate for a practice studio?

  David I.