Steinway scale

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 18 12:25:41 MDT 2008

Actually Terry... as it happens... unless you are privy to Steinways
archives I doubt seriously you can give Michael the specs he asked for.
There was really no O, or L, or M in that period. The basic 180 length
was experimented with quite a bit and several scales were tried out that
fit the basic length until 1913 I believe.  After that the O, L, and M
were settled on and released as such. Previous to that they were simply
labeled as "Miniature".

This claim is based on having just gone through a 2 month long process
identifying the proper (read original) bass scale for a 1910 miniature.
I would be delighted if list folks can augment the information I
gathered in that process with other facts, figures...etc.

Cheers
RicB

    Yes. But first, why?

    Terry Farrell

    Can someone please send me a scale for a Steinway model O, from1905.
    I remember seeing it before, but I cannot find it

    Thanks,
    Michael Mezhinsky