Steinway scale

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Oct 19 12:20:13 MDT 2008

According to my S&S info:

The O (5'10") was introduced in 1900, discontinued in 1914.
The O (5'10 1/2") was introduced in 1914, discontinued in 1923.

That said, I agree with David L, here: measure and calculate.

William R. Monroe

  Best thing to do is measure the speaking lengths and calculate it yourself.  On that piano the tensions should be around 150 lbs per string in the plain wire section.  You probably won't be able to get that in the lowest tenor without creating some serious honk.  If you can't do the calculations send the measurements to someone who can.  That would include me (modest fee).

  David Love
  davidlovepianos at comcast.net
  www.davidlovepianos.com

        Can someone please send me a scale for a Steinway model O, from1905.  I remember seeing it before, but I cannot find it

        Thanks,

        Michael Mezhinsky