shock absorber

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Oct 19 15:17:40 MDT 2008

In a message dated 10/18/2008 2:38:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
oorebeek at planet.nl writes:

Only part of the hammer is the shock absorber, but it is the  most  important
part of the hammer and the basis for a decent  voicing.

Andre -

Would you mind elaborating? Maybe a difference in definition here, but  I
think of a shock absorber (as on a car) as a mechanism to convert energy into
heat (through hydraulic means). This would seem to me the antithesis of what we
want, which is a loss-less means of storing energy and returning it to the
string over a varying (and adjustable) period of time.

Bob Davis