The finite life of wood grain

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Oct 19 22:12:31 MDT 2008

?David
?Right on all counts. Dave ,?it sounds like you?heard my lengthy description/diatribe on the self destructive crowning method called Compression crowning. It includes all the reasons you cite for destruction and more.
You have accurately connected the dots.
?Re-crowning- is not only useless it's too expensive & the results in my opinion aren't worth the effort & I will not beat on the horse further to be certain sure.
? Be assured ,there?is much in the archives on this subject.
?Thanks for the kind comments
?? Regards
?? Dale

This is a curious question directed toward Dale Erwin and other?
soundboard people.?
?
Would it be fair to say that the majority of soundboards die?
after, say, 80 to 100 years? If that's true, then what's the?
major reason? Is it climate, or the simple fact that the board?
has been under pressure, or both of the the above? ?
Also, this "death" is at the cellular / granular level, right??
So then "re-crowning" would be about as useful as putting new?
chrome on a car with a destroyed chassis, eh??
?
(Sorry if this is a dead horse already thoroughly beaten.)?
?
Thanks, and thank you again, Dale, for a great talk in Chicago.?
David?
?
David B. Stang?
Columbus Ohio?