the myth of the finite life of wood grain

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 20:39:22 MDT 2008

I work on several pre-modern pianos and the boards still sound quite alive
as well.  However, it would seem that the soundboard performance
requirements for very low tension scales, as these all are, would be
somewhat different from those of more modern instruments. I assume that
would have manifested itself not only in the crowning procedures but the
ability of the panel to expand and contract without undue compression
stress.   Comments?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com