The finite life of wood grain

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 10:52:21 MDT 2008

     Well, "good sound" is subjective-----I'll grant them that. But the ossification process that's occurring in old wood ( as the resins progress on the road to becoming amber--classified as a gemstone- and the cells become more vacuous due to this and shrinkage of the resins, certainly effects the tone in some way. Whether you like it ( as I do ) or not is a matter of opinion, and no-one's opinion is better than another's.
    They're just opinions.
    I will say, though, that the increasing stiffness of old wood, and the already-culminated ( for all practical purposes ) compression set lends credence to the argument that a properly recrowned soundboard ( if it can be effected ) is less likely to develop cracks, or fail again, in the future.
    And it saves some beautiful trees.

Euphonious Thumpe