yamaha rebuild

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Oct 23 08:33:51 MDT 2008

> List, I looked at a Yamaha g-3 ca: early-70's (green understring felt).
> Needs restringing and new hammers and backchecks. Block is good, as well
> as bridges. Whippens good, as well as back action.
>
> My question is about the hairline cracks in the board. Should I risk
> restringing without replacing the board? It still has crown and no
> buzzing etc. Ribs are good.
>
> Cost is a consideration here, and a new board would put him over his budget.
> Thanks,
> Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

How does it sound in all areas of the scale at all dynamic
ranges? Is there both crown and bearing in the killer octave?
Panel cracks aren't a reason to change boards if the original
is working, and the presence of cracks isn't an indication
that it's not. If there's no bearing or crown in the killer
octave, and a hard blow in that area distorts into garbage in
the attack, you need to fix his budget first.

We can't diagnose it on the list. It needs to be done at the
piano.
Ron N