yamaha rebuild

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 23 08:33:43 MDT 2008

A new board with action work and all would probably put him close enough to
a new C2 or C3 that I wouldn't go there.  Cracks are not the issue, function
is.  If the ribs are not separating then the cracks make little difference
in performance.  How to deal with them is more an issue of cosmetics.  I'd
be careful about the block, however.  I've found those older blocks don't
hold up that well and since replacing the block isn't that big a deal, I'd
probably do it.  I'd be careful about hammer selection as the board is
likely much weaker than it was at the outset and may not tolerate as hard a
hammer as the original.  I'd examine the scale as well.  The G-3s can use
some improvement especially in the bass tenor transition.  Whether you'll be
able to accomplish anything really significant that with the original
bridges I'm not sure but you can probably make it less bad.  With a piano of
limited value I'd keep it as simple as possible.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com