Beats/cents

johndelmore at suddenlink.net johndelmore at suddenlink.net
Fri Oct 24 13:32:03 MDT 2008

Hi Julia--I think that's close enough for government work.  The actual definition is that a cent is 1/1200th of an octave, and the formula for cents difference is 1200 time the base 2 log of the ratio.  As most calculators don't "do" base 2 logs, it's close to 3896 times the base 10 log of the ratio.  With that formula, I get 11.497 cents.

John